8.09.2005

Clueless Software

At my current gig, the client is using Rational Suite. This morning, I attempted to find a list of the files I currently have checked out. This was actually relatively easy to do. I'm currently working on several tickets, and wanted to sort and print the list so I could easily identify which files were associated with each ticket. Again, relatively easy to do. Since some of the files had to be un-checked out, (the ticket was cancelled after work was done ...), I wanted to print the list. NOT easy to do. At first, I thought I was just missing something; or a required permission in the software had not been granted to me. But I checked with another developer who has been here for some time and my initial impression was correct. The only way to get a print-out was to do a screen print! Now I understand that analyzing useabliity can cost a lot of money, and end up causing some modifications to the code and UI, which costs even more money. Not every company can afford this. But Rational? Owned by IBM? At the least, couldn't they just COPY the UI functionality that Microsoft has? How can a company that presents itself as a premier provider, provide a report that can't be printed? Brain-dead software.

No comments: